Bathroom Faucet Finishes 101
Last Updated on Monday, 12 May 2014 11:00
Written by bkshowplace
Thursday, 15 May 2014 08:15
Homeowners now have more options than ever when it comes to finishes for their bathroom fixtures. The finish not only affects the appearance of the fixtures, but can also make a big difference in costs, durability, and maintenance. Here is a quick overview of all of the popular finishes you will find on bathroom fixtures:
The shiny gold color of polished brass makes it look great in traditional bathrooms.
- Pros: Durable; matches well with other accessories
- Cons: More expensive than many other finishes
Satin brass has the traditional appearance of polished brass without as much shine. This makes it subtler and very classy.
- Pros: Nice color without being overwhelming; doesn’t show water spots or fingerprints
- Cons: Not as many options; more expensive; hard to match with accessories
The dark color of oil-rubbed bronze is great for old-world style bathrooms. It has a very classic feel.
- Pros: Timeless style; durable; easy to clean, many options; easy to match with accessories
- Cons: Can be pricier than other finishes
Unlike oil-rubbed bronze which is very dark, satin bronze has a soft, golden color. It still has an old-world feel but can work with more styles.
- Pros: Works with many styles; easy to clean; doesn’t show water spots or fingerprints
- Cons: Pricier options; hard to match with other accessories
Copper finishes make a really bold statement and the fixtures can be focal points of the bathroom. Copper generally comes in polished and antique finishes.
- Pros: Very bold appearance; antibacterial properties
- Cons: Requires more maintenance; not as durable as other finishes; hard to match with other fixtures; not as many options
Polished nickel is very shiny and looks great against white countertops and sinks. It is versatile and will work with just about any style.
- Pros: Timeless style; easy to clean; very durable
- Cons: Pricier; not as many options
Brushed nickel is the most practical choice for bathroom fixtures, but it still looks beautiful.
- Pros: One of most durable finishes; doesn’t show water spots or fingerprints; easy to clean; easy to match with other accessories; affordable
- Cons: Not as bold of style
This is one of the most popular finishes because it works well with all styles, especially modern bathrooms.
- Pros: Versatile; many very affordable options; easy to clean; easy to match with other accessories
- Cons: Shows water spots and fingerprints
Need guidance on choosing the right finish for your bathroom fixtures?